The Government Relations Senior Manager is responsible for communicating and executing on Higher Learning Advocates’ policy priorities and strategy with executive and legislative branch officials. Based in Washington, DC, this position will interact with the Higher Learning Advocates team as well as external stakeholders and consultants, requiring an understanding of the organization’s mission and priorities as well as the enjoyment of working with others to accomplish the organization’s goals.
- Advance the organization’s strategies through work with government, private, and public partners.
- Increase the breadth, reach, and visibility of the organization among policymakers.
- Develop and implement strategy for advancing the organization’s policy goals with key decision makers in the executive and legislative branches of the federal government.
- Cultivate, build, and maintain relationships with Congressional members and staff on both sides of the aisle.
- Educate and inform executive and legislative branch officials, their staff, and administration officials about policy issues in which the organization has developed bodies of work.
- Participate in the planning and execution of coalitions, meetings, and conferences to advance organization’s policy strategies.
- Support the Executive Director’s public appearances including through drafting of testimony and statements.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external colleagues to execute strategies.
Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of higher education, workforce, and federal fiscal policy and related issues, including of major related federal laws and regulations;
- Demonstrated success in influencing and affecting policy change at the federal level;
- Experience with policy development, analysis, and implementation;
- Experience with and knowledge of public policy organizations impacting higher education, the executive branch, and Capitol Hill;
- Exemplify flexibility, an ability to work independently, to be highly-organized, and an attention to detail;
- Strong oral and written communication skills, demonstrated by the ability to summarize complex policy topics for multiple audiences
- Able to manage complex situations and relationships with confidence, confidentiality and tact; and
- Operating style suited to working in a small team environment where teamwork, creativity and flexibility are valued.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Work is performed in an office environment, mostly sedentary.
- Visual and auditory acuity for extensive use of various forms of technology.
- The position is based in Washington, DC with some national travel needed to execute the organization’s work.
- This position may require the employee to register to lobby.
- This position will report directly to the Deputy Executive Director.
A competitive compensation package including salary and benefits is available and is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Higher Learning Advocates is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with GR in the message title.
Higher Learning Advocates is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC that supports and advances policy changes that increase postsecondary attainment. We support a postsecondary system that is student-centered, equitable, outcomes-based, and focused on educational quality by advocating for policies that: are based on student outcomes, make postsecondary education and student aid work for today’s student, and ensure access and affordability. We are bipartisan, strategically minded, and focused on improving postsecondary outcomes for all students.
For more information about Higher Learning Advocates, visit www.higherlearningadvocates.org.