Higher Learning Advocates is seeking an energetic and dedicated Operations and Events Coordinator to join our Washington, D.C. team. The Operations and Events Coordinator will provide general and specialized administrative support by prioritizing tasks, effectively planning time, anticipating needs, and operating with an appropriate sense of urgency, act as a communication liaison, and coordinate administrative and support functions, including event logistics, facility and general services.
- Provide administrative and project support to the Executive Director, including managing the Executive Director’s calendar and communication with external contacts.
- Provide administrative support to the Higher Learning Advocates team, including meeting preparation, travel arrangement, tracking correspondence and billing.
- Schedule conference calls, briefings and external appointments.
- Serve as a welcoming initial office point of contact for phone lines and office reception area.
- Coordinate the administrative and operational aspects of Higher Learning Advocates’ event and meeting planning functions, including tracking attendees and assisting with onsite logistics.
- Maintain the facility services and needs, including office supply purchasing, maintenance and interacting with vendor contracts and relationships.
- Support the Higher Learning Advocates team to help further organizational goals and priorities and to execute special projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Prior full-time or internship experience in a policy or advocacy organization preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and customer relations skills for interaction among staff, vendors and contractors, displaying a high degree of diplomacy, tact and professionalism, including excellent phone and email etiquette.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and Google Drive.
- Demonstrated experience balancing multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Ability to thrive in a small team environment where teamwork, creativity, and flexibility are valued.
- A passion for or personal connection to education, public policy or economic mobility issues.
- Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Work is performed in an office environment, mostly sedentary.
- Visual and auditory acuity for extensive use of various forms of technology.
- The position is based in Washington, DC with some national travel needed to execute the organization’s work.
A competitive compensation package including salary and benefits is available and is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Operations and Events Coordinator” in the subject line.
Higher Learning Advocates is an equal opportunity employer. Diverse candidates, including women and people of color, are encouraged to apply.
Based in Washington, D.C., Higher Learning Advocates is a non-profit advocacy organization working to shift federal policy from higher education to higher learning—education and training beyond high school that leads to a degree, credential, or employment. While more students are participating in higher education than ever before, there is a vast and growing disconnect between federal policy and the needs of today’s students, employers, and communities. We are working toward federal policies that create transparent pathways to success, incentivize innovation, protect students and taxpayers, and improve outcomes.