The Program Associate is a member of Higher Learning’s Advocates’ (HLA) full-time staff responsible for assisting in the implementation of the organization’s communications activities. The Program Associate will support a diverse range of projects related to the organization’s communications work, including content and materials development, media monitoring, social media support, and other duties as assigned.
- Draft materials for outreach to external audiences, such as direct email blasts, news releases, fact sheets and policy briefs, infographics, and blog posts.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the organization’s social media activities.
- Assist with media outreach; including organizing media contacts, press briefings, and interviews.
- Work with the Communications Manager to identify media opportunities and secure media placements on behalf of senior staff, the Board of Directors, and other spokespeople.
- Support public appearances and speaking engagements by drafting talking points and statements.
- Monitor media coverage, social media, and legislative activity related to the organization’s key issues.
- Update and refine the organization’s website regularly to maintain fresh content.
- Develop and manage a detailed communications project schedules and work plans in collaboration with a project team, including notifying team members to take action.
- 2 years’ experience working at an issue-based advocacy or policy organization, political or legislative office, public affairs firm, or similar environment.
- Knowledge of federal public policy, communications, journalism, or another relevant field.
- Strong writing, communication, and social media skills.
- Demonstrated experience balancing multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Ability to thrive in a small team environment where teamwork, creativity, and flexibility are valued.
- Comfort using digital marketing tools, content management platforms, and social media dashboards.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Work is performed remotely until further notice.
- Visual and auditory acuity for extensive use of various forms of technology.
A competitive compensation package including salary and benefits is available and is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Comms & Policy Associate” in the subject line.
Higher Learning Advocates is an equal opportunity employer. Diverse candidates, including women and people of color, are encouraged to apply.
Based in Washington, D.C., Higher Learning Advocates is a non-profit advocacy organization working to shift federal policy from higher education to higher learning—education and training beyond high school that leads to a degree, credential, or employment. While more students are participating in higher education than ever before, there is a vast and growing disconnect between federal policy and the needs of today’s students, employers, and communities. We are working toward federal policies that create transparent pathways to success, incentivize innovation, protect students and taxpayers, and improve outcomes.