Higher Learning Advocates is seeking a Communications Associate Director/Manager (title based on experience) who will be responsible for developing the organization’s messaging and implementing its communications and media outreach strategies. Based in Washington, D.C., the Communications Associate Director/Manager will require an understanding of media and outreach strategies, innovative approaches to reach key audiences, and a commitment to the organization’s mission.
- Organize and serve as the point of contact for media outreach; maintain relationships with members of the media; arrange all media contacts, press briefings, and interviews; provides talking points and other materials as needed; respond to media inquiries quickly and effectively.
- Work collaboratively with team members on the development and implementation of effective short- and long-term communications, messaging, social media, digital, and outreach strategies and campaigns, including executing creative approaches to outreach.
- Manage, coordinate, and create the production and dissemination of a diverse range of products tailored to specific audiences, including press releases, statements, opinion pieces, infographics and blog posts.
- Manage and edit the production of a monthly online publication, including recruiting authors, managing content, and promoting the publication.
- Develop, implement, and effectively manage a social media strategy and presence for the organization.
- Update, refine, and evolve the organization’s website regularly to maintain fresh content and a user-friendly design.
- Support the Executive Director’s public appearances and media engagement, including through drafting of talking points, testimony and statements.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external colleagues to execute strategies.
- This position may have managerial responsibility for staff and consultants, as hired.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 3-5 years experience in media, strategic advocacy or communications campaigns.
- Knowledge of and comfort with engaging with key media contacts in local, national, and trade outlets.
- Demonstrated success in implementing innovative and creative approaches to advancing a policy agenda through communications, outreach, or advertising.
- Demonstrated success of managing complex projects simultaneously, all which involve multiple stakeholders.
- Exemplify flexibility, an ability to work independently, to be highly-organized, and an attention to detail.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, demonstrated by the ability to summarize complex policy topics for multiple audiences.
- Ability to manage complex situations and relationships with confidence, confidentiality and tact.
- Operating style suited to working in a small team environment where teamwork, creativity and flexibility are valued.
- Knowledge of public policy and/or higher education helpful, but not required.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Work is performed in an office environment, mostly sedentary.
- Visual and auditory acuity for extensive use of various forms of technology.
- The position is based in Washington, DC with some national travel needed to execute the organization’s work.
A competitive compensation package including salary and benefits is available and is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Higher Learning Advocates is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with COMMS in the message title.
Higher Learning Advocates is a national, 501(c)3 non-profit organization working to shift federal policy to accelerate responsiveness to the needs of today’s students. We support a postsecondary system that is student-centered, equitable, outcomes-based, and focused on educational quality by advocating for policies that: are based on student outcomes, make postsecondary education and student aid work for today’s student, and ensure access and affordability. We are bipartisan, strategically minded, and focused on improving postsecondary outcomes for all students. For more information about Higher Learning Advocates, visit www.higherlearningadvocates.org.