Higher Learning Advocates is seeking a paid summer intern for summer 2018. Reporting to the Director of Communications & External Affairs, the Higher Learning Advocates Summer Intern will assist in the coordination of communications and advocacy efforts for the organization.
- Activities will include researching matters concerning higher education and public policy, drafting content for Higher Learning Advocates’ communications platforms (including our website and social media), assisting staff with event planning and management, and supporting staff members as needed with the execution and promotion of programmatic work. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Drafting materials for outreach to external audiences, such as direct email blasts, news releases, fact sheets and policy briefs, infographics and blog posts.
- Assisting with the implementation of the organization’s social media strategy.
- Conducting research related to policy issues and legislative activity and provide reports and updates to staff.
- Monitoring media coverage, social media and legislative activity related to the organization’s key issues.
- Attending events, panels, and hearings on the organization’s behalf.
- Updating the organization’s website to maintain fresh content.
- Working with staff to support office operations and event logistics.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The Summer Intern will approach these tasks as an entrepreneurial enterprise, requiring a proactive approach. This role requires a personable, creative, dynamic, well-organized, and highly-motivated person with a strong interest in communications, advocacy or public policy.
- Undergraduate study in public policy, political science, communications, journalism or another relevant field.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, Google suite.
- Demonstrated experience balancing multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Ability to thrive in a small team environment where teamwork, creativity, and flexibility are valued.
- Comfort or willingness to learn the use of digital marketing tools, content management platforms, and social media dashboards.
- A passion for or personal connection to education, public policy or economic mobility issues.
- Schedule and Hours
- At least 24 hours a week, maximum 40 hours
- Duration of 12 weeks, late May-August 2018 (dates approximate)
- Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Work is performed in an office environment, mostly sedentary.
- Visual and auditory acuity for extensive use of various forms of technology.
- The position is based in Washington, DC.
This is a paid internship. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Summer Internship” in the subject line.
Applications are due by April 13, 2018.
Higher Learning Advocates is an equal opportunity employer. Diverse candidates, including women and people of color, are encouraged to apply.
Based in Washington, D.C., Higher Learning Advocates is a non-profit advocacy organization working to shift federal policy from higher education to higher learning—education and training beyond high school that leads to a degree, credential, or employment. While more students are participating in higher education than ever before, there is a vast and growing disconnect between federal policy and the needs of today’s students, employers, and communities. We are working toward federal policies that create transparent pathways to success, incentivize innovation, protect students and taxpayers, and improve outcomes.