Higher Learning Advocates is seeking a Program Associate for Communications and Policy to join our Washington, D.C. team. The Program Associate is a member of Higher Learning’s Advocates’ full-time staff responsible for assisting in the implementation of the organization’s communications, policy and outreach activities. The Program Associate will support a diverse range of projects related to the organization’s communications and policy work, including content and materials development, earned media outreach, special events planning, partnership and coalition development, policy support, and research.
- Draft materials for outreach to external audiences, such as direct email blasts, news releases, fact sheets and policy briefs, infographics and blog posts.
- Assist with media outreach; including organizing media contacts, press briefings, and interviews.
- Work with the Director of Communications to identify media opportunities and secure media placements on behalf of senior staff, the Board of Directors and other spokespeople.
- Support public appearances and speaking engagements by drafting talking points and statements.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the organization’s social media strategy.
- Conduct research related to policy issues and legislative activity and provide reports and updates to staff.
- Monitor media coverage, social media and legislative activity related to the organization’s key issues.
- Attend events, panels, and hearings on the organization’s behalf.
- Update and refine the organization’s website regularly to maintain fresh content.
- Work with senior staff to organize and handle logistics for coalition meetings, conferences, policy discussions and special events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 2 years experience working at an issue-based advocacy or policy organization, political or legislative office, public affairs firm or similar environment.
- Knowledge of federal public policy, communications, journalism or another relevant field.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
- Demonstrated experience balancing multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Ability to thrive in a small team environment where teamwork, creativity, and flexibility are valued.
- Comfort using digital marketing tools, content management platforms, and social media dashboards.
- A passion for or personal connection to education, public policy or economic mobility issues.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Work is performed in an office environment, mostly sedentary.
- Visual and auditory acuity for extensive use of various forms of technology.
- The position is based in Washington, DC with some national travel needed to execute the organization’s work.
A competitive compensation package including salary and benefits is available and is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Higher Learning Advocates is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Higher Learning Advocates is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC that supports and advances policy changes that increase postsecondary attainment. We support a postsecondary system that is student-centered, equitable, outcomes-based, and focused on educational quality by advocating for policies that: are based on student outcomes, make postsecondary education and student aid work for today’s student, and ensure access and affordability. We are bipartisan, strategically minded, and focused on improving postsecondary outcomes for all students.