Higher Learning Advocates seeks a Communications Manager to implement its communications and media strategies. Based in Washington, DC, the Communications Manager requires an understanding of social and digital media and outreach strategies, innovative approaches to reach key audiences, and a commitment to the organization’s mission.
- Work collaboratively with team members to implement effective short- and long-term communications, including messaging, social media, digital, outreach strategies and campaigns.
- Coordinate the production and dissemination of a diverse range of products tailored to specific audiences, including press releases, statements, opinion pieces, infographics and blog posts.
- Organize and serve as the point of contact for media outreach; initiate and maintain relationships with members of the media; arrange media contacts, press briefings, and interviews; respond to media inquiries quickly and effectively; and provide talking points and other materials as needed.
- Manage and edit the production of a monthly online publication, including recruiting authors, managing content, and promoting the publication.
- Develop, implement, and manage a social media strategy and presence for the organization.
- Update, refine, and evolve the organization’s website regularly to maintain fresh content and a user-friendly design.
- Support the Executive Director’s public appearances and media engagement, including through drafting of talking points, testimony and statements.
- Support the Today’s Students Coalition’s communications efforts.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external colleagues to execute strategies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of four years’ experience in communication, strategic advocacy or media.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, demonstrated by the ability to summarize complex policy topics for multiple audiences.
- Demonstrated success of managing complex projects simultaneously, all which involve multiple stakeholders.
- Knowledge of and comfort with engaging with key media contacts in local, national, and trade outlets.
- Exemplify flexibility, an ability to work independently, to be highly-organized, and an attention to detail.
- Operating style suited to working in a small team environment where teamwork, creativity and flexibility are valued.
- Knowledge of public policy and/or higher education helpful, but not required.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Work is performed in an office environment, mostly sedentary.
- Visual and auditory acuity for extensive use of various forms of technology.
- The position is based in Washington, DC with some national travel needed to execute the organization’s work.
A competitive compensation package including salary and benefits is available and is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Higher Learning Advocates is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Higher Learning Advocates is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC that supports and advances policy changes that increase postsecondary attainment. We support a postsecondary system that is student-centered, equitable, outcomes-based, and focused on educational quality by advocating for policies that: are based on student outcomes, make postsecondary education and student aid work for today’s student, and ensure access and affordability. We are bipartisan, strategically minded, and focused on improving postsecondary outcomes for all students.